This comprehensive literature review discusses the impact of vicarious trauma (VT) on Content Moderators in Trust & Safety roles, particularly focusing on factors contributing to VT and the potential psychological impacts in various occupational sectors. The document covers studies and interventions aimed at understanding and mitigating VT in professions like content moderation, where employees are regularly exposed to traumatic or graphic content online.
- Length of exposure to traumatic content significantly influences VT development.
- Personal connection to the content, such as cultural or regional ties, intensifies the impact of VT.
- Feelings of shame and guilt, as well as ethical dilemmas
- Strategies like reducing exposure time, providing training, and fostering a supportive work environment
- The importance of post-traumatic growth and wellbeing programs